A Note on Toxins
As over whelming as it sounds, we are surrounded by toxins that affect us in every aspect of our lives. Be it chemicals in cleaning products and self-care products, EMFs, air quality both indoors and out, chemicals found in and on foods and in beverages, we come into contact with them on a consistent basis. I do not say this to scare you into completely overhauling how you live, nor do I point this out in an effort to make it so that you shut down, feeling as if you can’t control it all, so why bother trying to control any of it.
I share this with you in an effort to point out that any small changes that you make can have a big impact on the health of you and your family. I use this blog as a way to share information with you on all sorts of products and areas of life that you can change, if you so choose, to make a positive impact on your well-being. I leave it up to you to read the information and decide for yourself what it feasible for you to do and what is not at this time.
A Note on Pesticides and Garden Chemicals – Why Green Grass Isn’t Always Greener
The use of chemical pesticides is a cause I hold near and dear to my heart. It’s one I urge everyone to become more informed about.
A study published in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute finds that household and garden pesticide use can increase the risk of childhood leukemia as much as seven- fold.1 AND 2. Studies show that children living in households where pesticides are used suffer elevated rates of leukemia, brain cancer and soft tissue sarcoma. PEOPLE, this is scary!!! These are just two of many facts I found on a link from BeyondPesticides.org:
http://www.beyondpesticides.org/lawn/factsheets/Pesticide.children.dontmix.pdf The information provided on this site is a must read, not just for parents, but grandparents, friends, etc. I know I don’t want my children exposed to these toxins – not at my house or at any house they go over to play. Unfortunately a lot of schools use these toxic chemicals on their grounds. Do you know what your child’s school uses on the fields where they run and play?
What Can You do to Protect Your Children and Pets?
- Be aware of just how dangerous these chemicals are.
Don’t use them on your own property.
Make those around you aware.
4. Ask people to take off their shoes when they walk into your house – especially with spring right around the corner, these chemicals will be on the bottom of people’s shoes. Little kids are most at risk since they are the ones crawling around, playing on the floor, and putting toys in their mouths that have been on the floor.
1Lowengart, R., et al. 1987. “Childhood Leukemia and Parent’s Occu- paonal and Home Exposures,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute 79:39.
2Lowengart, P., et al. 1995. “Childhood Leukemia and Parents’ Occupaonal and Home Exposures,” J National Cancer Institute 79(1): 39-45;
You must log in to post a comment.
Most Commented Posts
- The ‘Ins and Outs’ of Essential Oils by Someone who Knows By RNK Community on August 28, 2013 183
- Wait! Don’t Wash That Newborn! By RNK Community on April 13, 2012 83
- This Just In: I am officially THAT MOM – Saying No to TBHQ and other Junk in Foods By RNK Community on November 2, 2011 50
Most Liked Posts
- Cleaning up ‘Cradle Cap’ By raisingnaturalkids on August 26, 2014 1
- Even the skin of Oranges Have Food Dye!? Looking at Each Food Dye Individually By RNK Community on April 6, 2011 0
- American Cheese, A Disgrace to Our Country’s Namesake? By RNK Community on August 8, 2011 0
- Advice please. Repost. Please post anonymous. My son has had this rash around his mouth on and off for a few days... http://t.co/cnHiTJHp0y 6 hours ago
- Advice Please! Repost from Joanna Any suggestions for a baby with seasonal allergies? My almost 6 month old has... http://t.co/ijn5qORCYc 10 hours ago